Monday, June 13, 2011

The Rhythm of Life




2.7, 3.4, 4.3, 5.5

These are the numbers that come via email to my phone on a regular basis.
They are the size of the tremors in Christchurch, New Zealand today.
I could also say that they are set to the rhythm of my heartbeat.

4.4, 3.4, 6.0, 4.9 

Some of you know that daughter #1, 
Miss Christine, is a University student in Christchurch.
We talk nearly every day.
We last parted in January, six months too many.

4.0, 3.7, 3.4

It is time and my flight is booked for Friday.
I have a few obstacles... 
an ash cloud hovering over the Pacific 
and aftershocks setting their pace 
in the depths of Christchurch.

3.5, 3.5, 3.5

Why am I writing about this?
One of the reasons I picked the title 
of this blog is that life is open ended.
What can you say about life? 
What can you not say about life?

 3.6, 3.0, 2.9, 3.5

Sometimes it whizzes by so fast 
that you feel like you are running
 circles around the globe.
Sometimes you feel like it is not 
happening fast enough.

3.7, 3.2, 4.0, 3.4

Too fast and we want to slow down. 
Too slow and we want to 
crank it up a notch or two.

2.9, 4.1, 3.4

Then, every now and again, 
you get what I like to call the 'stretch'
When life is like one big 
long push in a hammock, you let go,
and glide gently, back and forth. 
Perfect balance.

2.8, 3.2, 3.3

I know that 'stretch' will come
when I hold Miss Christine
in my arms again.

3.6, 3.4...

Breathe in, Breathe out
Life.


Thank you for reading 
Collage of Life 
:)



Statistics: The numbers above refer to the Richter magnitude of the quakes felt in the Canterbury region. They are recorded by GNS Science. I subscribed after my first tremor in Auckland, New Zealand, 5 years ago. A small one but one I will never forget it. I can't imagine anything greater. The recordings above started coming in at 10:37pm (UK time) on 12 June 2011. I have noted every one since with the last emailed to me at 1:00pm on 13 June. For more information, click here


No comments:

Post a Comment