Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Stately Home, Five Gardens and a May Fair


I have come to the conclusion that every stately English home should have an exceptional garden.
This is only because they do. I happened upon Loseley Park after a call from a friend who said that I was not to miss the May Fair on the grounds of Loseley Park. She is one of those woman who has a keen eye for shopping opportunities and whose judgement I trust explicitly.  Imagine my surprise when I drove up to find this estate as well.  I was delighted!

After filling my market basket with a few treats, I ventured over to the property for a little 'look see'.
I quickly realised that 'little' is not a word to associate with Loseley Park.


 Loseley Park was built in the time of Elizabeth I and is still the home of the More-Molyneux family.
It is said to have changed little since 1562 when Sir William More put his hands to the first stones.
Calm, grace and subtle beauty are used to describe Loseley Park and I would have to agree.
I did not have time to go into the house and will save that for another day/post. What I did manage to venture into were the beautiful gardens, all five of them. The Rose Garden, Herb Garden, Flower Garden, White Garden and the Organic Vegetable Garden. They are so immense and so beautiful that it was almost too much to take in on one visit. I can see that several trips will be required to truly appreciated this stately home.

Have a wander with me.....


 Rosa Cornelia, a hybrid musk rose.




At the end of this extensive wander, this was the most welcoming sight of all :)


More on Loseley Park, here.

images~me

No comments:

Post a Comment