Monday, February 7, 2011

The day we met....a meet/cute

Freewriting on a Monday morning.....


Twilight in Central Park by Rod Chase

I count the years Mr. H and I have been together from the day we married and he counts them from the day we met. We are coming onto our 25th wedding anniversary this year and in his mind the number is 27. I remember it like it was yesterday, the day we met....Super Bowl Sunday.
All those years ago, my childhood friend, Lauren, had a Super Bowl party. She was apartment sitting in a beautiful spot along the Upper West Side of Central Park in Manhattan. A perfect venue for a party. I was unattached and she mentioned that her boyfriend had a friend.

I was weary but I asked all the usual questions. She nicknamed him the 'L.L. Bean' man. For those of you who do not know L.L. Bean, it is an American retail store known for it's country casual attire. Lauren told me that Mr. H was the outdoorsy kind of guy having just returned from two years with the Peace Corps in Africa and at the time was getting his Masters in International Affairs as was she. Lauren had also been a Peace Corps volunteer. I was in the corporate world and had been for a few years. I was moving up and he was just getting started. I wasn't sure this was going to be a good fit.

I was hesitant about the introduction but more concerned with the food Lauren planned to serve at her party. Lauren was the original 'health nut'. She still is and looks as beautiful today as she did back then. I worried that party food with Lauren would translate to some version of a seaweed spread and veggie chips. This was not the food Super Bowl party's are made of!

The day finally arrived, I remember sitting on the couch and overhearing the welcome at the door. My friend Kathy was by my side for support. Nerves were settling in, I always hated that part of meeting someone for the first time.  He turned the corner and we looked at each other. Gulp...my eyes went up to the tall good looking man in front of me, those blue eyes, that dark hair, those L.L. Bean boots and then settled on the best prize of all.... he was holding two huge shopping bags of junk food. Chips, cupcakes, cookies...and I knew I had met the man of my dreams :)

Today... read here and you will see that some things never change.

Just a little Monday morning meandering in my mind...best wishes to one and all for a great week!

Jeanne xx


images..Mr. H..around the time we met and Central Park painting by Rod Chase

No comments:

Post a Comment